Many people do not think about the sperm count, but if you are trying to conceive then there is a need to focus on the total number of swimmers. No doubt, there is just a need for one sperm to fertilize the egg but it can be rough if the sperm count is very low. This guide will give you an insight into the causes of low sperm count.
Low sperm count is also known as ‘oligospermia’ which is the prominent reason for male infertility. The sperm count is considered low when it is less than 15 million sperm per milliliter (mL) of semen.
The couple who are trying to conceive for more than a year but not able to get the results they need to consult a gynae. The doctor is going to diagnose both the partners for fertility and according to that treatment will be given. In case, the sperm count is very low then the doctor will give the low sperm count treatment to improve the chances of conception.
Causes of low sperm count
- Low sperm count risk is increased with a history of surgeries, injuries, testicular problems, or genetic conditions.
- Men who have undergone or getting cancer treatment including radiation, surgery, or chemotherapy are also at increased risk of low sperm production. The radiation can affect the testicles which damage the cells that produce sperm.
- Conditions like cystic fibrosis or genetic carrier of cystic fibrosis can block the sperm from entering the semen.
- Men with a decreased immune system.
- The problem of erectile dysfunction or erection due to spinal injury or diabetes.
- Swelling in the veins which affect the testicles. This is known as varicocele and it is one of the common reasons for male infertility.
- STDs can also increase the risk of low sperm count.
The average temperature of the sperm condition is lower than the body temperature, this is the reason the testicles are outside the abdominal cavity. If the testicles are overheated it can result in low sperm count. So, you need to avoid the frequent use of hot tubs or keeping the laptop on your lap.
Some of the other factors are exposure to harmful chemicals, pesticides, solvents, heavy metals, and industrial chemicals. Sperm production is also affected due to the exposure to radiation from X-rays.
- Studies have proved that the consumption of alcohol and smoking are linked with low sperm count. Additionally, men who take anabolic steroids to build the body will have shrunk testicles and sperm production will reduce.
- The pre-workout supplements, vitamins, and testosterone boosters also have a small amount of anabolic steroid which can affect sperm production.
- Job in which you need to sit for a long time like truck driving can also affect the sperm count.
- If a man is overweight or obese, it can affect the hormones which in turn affect sperm production.
- Stress and depression are also linked to making this condition severe.
What are the signs of low sperm count?
There are no such signs of low sperm count until you try to conceive. In case, the low sperm count is linked with other condition like testicular issue or blockage, hormonal imbalance or chromosomal abnormality then it can trigger symptoms like:
- Reduced sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
- Pain or swelling in or around the testicles
- Reduced body or facial hair
For more information, visit the fertility doctor and she will let you know which type of fertility treatment plan you need to improve your chances of conception.